John 12 - Why Jesus Tells Us To Die


Click Here For This Blog's Podcast Episode

It's probably no coincidence that during one of the largest panics over a global pandemic is ocurring, Jesus talks to me about death and life. 

The coronavirus has taken a bit more of an impact on our lives personally. Aubrey went to the doctor today and basically said that she cannot leave the house. Luckily she was already working from home, which is great. I'm glad we work for a company that has been so proactive at looking after their employees. 

The doctor also told us that I should stay home as well, only leaving for the grocery store if we need something. If I get sick, I won't be allowed in the maternity ward during my baby girl's deliver, and the thought of Aubrey going through that alone is not something either of us are a fan of. 

Fitting that Jesus spoke to me today again in John 12. 

*** for those of you who don't know, my quiet times consist of reading 3 chapters a day in the Word. One in the OT, one in the Gospels, and one in the NT. I'm sure I'll blog that exact outline sometime ***

Jesus always seems to call me back to attention of what's truly important. It's so easy to allow circumstances to give us a justification to take our minds and our attention off the goal - to know Jesus and make Him known. When it comes to a crazy worldwide pandemic, that seems to be the case. But what was amazing was what Jesus pointed out to me in John 12:24-25:
Truly truly I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 
Man, the more I'm in the Word, the more I realize how confusing Jesus seems to be. Jesus really is someone you must take time to really get to know in order to understand what he's saying. Building a relationship with Him is the same as with any person you develop a relationship with.  


* * * Quick tangent, because this principle is something I am PASSIONATE about, and it's worth a minute to outline. 

We all know someone - weather a family member or great friend - that we know so well, that we just understand them. Even if what they're saying may not make sense to other people, it will to us. When you have a relationship with someone where your communication extends beyond the actual words themselves, you truly have something special. 

You are able to communicate so well, because your ability to understand each other is based on an intimate foundation; built up and strengthened over years of communicating with each other.   

My friends, that is a gift from God, and that is exactly how Jesus desires each and every one of us to be with him. That said, the only only way we develop a relationship like this is by spending time with Jesus through His Word * * *

Okay, end of tangent. I hope all that made sense.


The reason I bring that up, is because if I didn't know Jesus the way I do, the above verse sounds absolutely dismal. Essentially, it sounds like I have to either die or be alone; and either lose the life I love or keep one that I hate. Ugh. Not the most compelling invitation into the Christian life . . .

Luckily, that's not actually what Jesus is saying here. What He actually means, is that we are to die to ourselves so that He can live through us. 

Jesus is constantly throwing one specific challenge our way many many times in many many ways: "How far are you willing to trust me?" 

In this passage, he's demanding everything. He's saying die to yourself; to give up your passions, your desires, your goals, your wishes, your aspirations, your relationships - everything that makes you you - and let Him call all the shots. 

Do you believe His love for you is enough to trust Him to take over your entire existence? Because if you do, He promises to give you a life so much more fulfilling than you can currently comprehend; AND he promises you'll get to keep it forever. What is this "fulfilling life" you ask? He calls it "bearing much fruit." That is a study all in itself, and one I believe necessary to understand the life of Christ.

My friends I can't speak for everyone, but to me - bearing much fruit is absolutely worth it. 100%. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peter's Blunder: A Short Lesson

What is a Disciple? And Why Does it Matter?

God Focuses on The Individual